Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Why, After Chemotherapy, is it Necessary to Assess Memory Using Translational Testing?

I am researcher with a PhD in genetics and post-doctoral experience in behavioral neuroscience.
A few years ago I started working as an Assistant Professor at Ponce School of Medicine and Health Sciences. As part of the a pilot project, I started researching how chemotherapy effects memory in breast cancer survivors. Every woman I spoke to said their memory is just not the same as before chemotherapy. This became my driving force and now I want to know more about why and how to prevent these effects. There truely needs to be more research on what drugs are best to fight cancer, but also how to minimize the side effects on memory.

My research involves using a virtual reality test called "Memory Island" which allows me to see both how people learn and remember. The study is entitled "The Relationship between Visuospatial Memory and Coping Strategies in Breast Cancer Survivors"
The results of my pilot study can be found at http://www.la-press.com/the-relationship-between-visuospatial-memory-and-coping-strategies-in--article-a2690-discuss


Come to find out two years later my Mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer. She is now cancer free, but is trying to go back to college. She is struggling significantly since she went through chemotherapy. I try hard to encourage her to go back and really want to find out how to help her.

This prompted me to write the paper "Why, After Chemotherapy, is it Necessary to Assess Memory Using Translational Testing?" which can be found at http://www.la-press.com/why-after-chemotherapy-is-it-necessary-to-assess-memory-using-translat-article-a3428 along with a video abstract.

As I am a genetics at heart I have also written a book chapter discussing how a person's genetics effects how they respond to different chemotherapy drugs and hormone replacement therapies. My book chapter is entitled "The Confounding Factor of Apolipoprotein E on Response to Chemotherapy and Hormone Regulation Altering Long-Term Cognition Outcomes" which can be downloaded for free at http://www.intechopen.com/books/lipoproteins-role-in-health-and-diseases/the-confounding-factor-of-apolipoprotein-e-on-response-to-chemotherapy-and-hormone-regulation-alteri.

I hope to continue this work in the future..but I need your help..

No comments:

Post a Comment